Programming: An Essential Skill for a Multimedia Designer
Mapua Institute of Technology, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines
January 18, 2017
This paper outlines the importance of programming skills to a multimedia designer depending on the field of expertise. The topic was further enhanced by adding Field of Expertise and sample art works were provided to support the conclusion.
The use of multiple media such as voice, video, images and data are innovated by the evolution of information technology by using applications that have the capability to create graphics, dynamic websites, animation and edit photos and videos. Since multimedia is software-based, programming skills is important to a multimedia designer. However, its importance comes on a certain degree depending on the field of expertise and output that is required from a multimedia designer.
Figure 1. Straight Concept on the Importance of Programming Skills to a Multimedia Designer
From the assumption we can propose a straight concept that a multimedia designer is required to acquire “vague” software development skills thus one must study programming languages such as HTML, PHP, ASP and Java to name few.
Figure 2. Comics for Straight Concept on the Importance of Programming Skills to a Multimedia Designer.
Figure 3. The Concept of Adding “Field of Expertise” Variable
But if variable – Field of Expertise is added, we can further assess the value of programming skills to a multimedia designer. The Field of Expertise or specialization will determine the Tools and Output that is required from the multimedia designer.
Figure 4. Comics for the Concept of Adding “Field of Expertise” Variable
Table 1. Field of Expertise, Tools and Output from a Multimedia Designer
To support the matrix, sample artworks are provided below.
Based on the output, only creating a Webpage required HTML Web Programming Language thus we can conclude that if a multimedia designer aspires to become a web designer, acquiring programming skills is highly essential.
- A. Dan, D. Serpanos, S. Feldman, “Evolution and Challenges in Multimedia,” IBM 1. RES. DEVELOP. VOL. 42 NO. 2 MARCH 1998
- R. Rădescu1, V. Pupezescu, “Design And Implementation Of Dynamic E-Learning Content Using Multimedia Tools And Web Technologies, ” Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Applied Electronics and Information Engineering Department. NOVEMBER 2016
- T.Y. Mou, “Motion Capture In Supporting Creative Animation Design,” Department of Visual Communication Design, Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Tainan, Taiwan. NOVEMBER 2016
- Adobe Inc. Success Story, “Meteoric Rise,” NOVEMBER 2010
- W3School, HTML5 Images
- R. Rodriguez Jr. “Creative Developing in Lightroom 5: Advanced Concepts,” B & H, AUGUST 2014
- M. Melford, “Tips and Techniques for Creating Memorable Landscape Photographs with Michael Melford,” B & H, JULY 2015
- J. Caponigro “Tips and Strategies for Mastering Color in Photoshop with John Paul Caponigro,” B & H. JULY 2015
Leave a Reply